The traditional way of preparing pastitsada is with rooster meat but coz is a bit rare to have a nice fresh rooster close by you can always use veal is as good and probably to the liking of more people.
Here is the Recipe Enjoy!
Preparation: 2 hours
- 1kg veal the meat has to be cut into large chunks and be lean and red.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 medium size onions cut in small pieces
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ of teaspoon red sweet chili powder
- salt & pepper
- 1 full tablespoon tomato-paste
- 1 cup drained tomato cubes
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ kg pasta tubes or penne
- 1 cup grated cheese you can use preferably Greek kefalotiri or Parmesan
- Clean the meat under cold water and drain it.
- In a large frying pan, warm up the olive oil and fry the meat until it has a golden colour outside but is not cooked inside.
- Transfer the meat to a large saucepan and leave half the oil in the frying pan
- Add the onions to the hot oil and fry them until golden brown.
- Transfer them to the saucepan where the meat is.
- Stir the meat with the onions and add the wine, cloves,sweat chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Boil until the wine has been absorbed.
- Add the tomato paste and turn the meat to seal it somehow in the paste, and boil it with the paste for a few seconds
- Add the tomato and cinnamon sticks.
- Add warm water to cover the meat.
- Leave it to simmer for about 1 ¼ hours or until the meat is really tender and the sauce has absorbed the liquids and is thickened.
- Remove the cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Fill up a long bottom pan with water.
- Bring the water to boil.
- Add the pasta cut in half.
- When it is cooked (al dente) add one glass of cold water to the pan.
- Drain the pasta.
- Remove the meat from the saucepan, leaving the sauce.
- Add the pasta to the sauce.
- Serve it with some meat on top of the pasta on each plate.
- Garnish it with grated cheese.
more about Corfiot Dishes here